Return To Front Page Return To General Page
Thoughts and ministry set forth here about the Bible and Christian life. Questions are welcome to Bible Counsel for help. All letters are held confidential. One can use initals or a nickname if they wish. Readers should also see ministry on other pages of the Bible Counsel site. Send e-mail to R. DeWitt at email@example.com.
- Bible Counsel - Feature Page 3
For those undecided ones who wonder, wander, and worry….
When a religious soul turns from the Bible or changes it to suit self, he/she forms a personal religion;
When one forms a personal religion he/she changes God's ways to man's ways;
When one changes God's ways he/she serves self and pleases Satan;
When one serves self and pleases Satan he/she falls into a trap;
Don't fall into Satan's trap ---hold to the Bible and learn God's ways.
Thoughts On Psalm 119
It is noteworthy that in Psalm 119 the psalmist makes reference to the expectations of God in various ways in almost every verse of the 176 verses. We might consider the references here as to some meaning and application. They were valued by faithful OT saints and spoken there with desire:
Word - the revelations and expectations of and by God;
Law - immutable rules and regulations required;
Statutes - all directives given;
Judgments - decisions of God;
Testimonies - truth of facts;
Way - purposes of God;
Commandments - firm commands;
Precepts - principles and truths to hold and follow;
Ordinances - policies and expectations.
In the New Testament these standards are yet God's standards and expectations under grace for blessings, though not given now as requirements to avoid penalties. Failure by saints to hold them today and honor God will mean FORFEITURE of blessing and rewards now and in Heaven.
It is further noteworthy that all the Ten Commandment laws of God for Israel are also found in the New Testament as God's standards, except the law for the Sabbath day: the remembrance of CREATION BEGINNING which was replaced ---fulfilled in the First day (the SPIRITUAL NEW BEGINNING in Christ). One might meditate on these understandings for some insight.
- R. DeWitt: GB42; 2012; add: 2016.
BIBLE STUDY METHOD
1. WAY TO STUDY THE BIBLE: In the first place, if we don't study we will likely end up following after many voices to our loss and confusion. If one is a true "born again" believer in Jesus, the Christ of God (as shown in John 1; John 3; John 14; etc.), then that one needs to know the mind and ways of God. A good way to study the Bible is to have a system:
2. Cultivate a desire to hear God speaking to you, and desire to know His message for your life. This comes from "all the counsel of God" (Acts 20:27), not just interpretations of a few verses. There are no contradictions in the Bible. One needs to see the harmony of Scripture, and the Holy Spirit will apply the truth of it. Do you really want to know what God thinks? Begin by prayer asking God to teach you by His Word as well as circumstances.
3. Set a time daily or weekly; otherwise study won't likely happen. Decide on the method and course, and prepare. Without a sound method, one will wander and misapply Scripture ---the venerable KJV Study Bible is recommended as being much depended on over 300-400 years; ask Bible Truth Publishers at Addison, IL --USA for help and a catalog (see at the Internet site: Bibletruthpublishers.com):
a) A progressive study of the several aspects of the Bible: BIBLE GENERAL, which encompasses such as overview showing the differences in the 66 books ---as Old Testament and New Testament; and deity; creation; God dealing with mankind; the covenant with Israel; early history; etc. REDEMPTION WAY ---the coming of Israel's Messiah (which has been mostly rejected by them); the birth of the Savior in Jesus, the Christ of God for all mankind, and His ministry for eternal life and blessings in the four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) ---and without this, one will have no relationship with our eternal Creator-God; CHURCH TRUTH ---as that which shows the scriptural path for the saints (sanctified ones) as in the Epistles (church letters); "unity of the faith" world-wide; the collective testimony of the redeemed souls; sharing in Bible studies; the collective Lord's Supper and His Table; fellowship universal as Bible-Only expressing the "one body in Christ"; and finally the end times prophecy, judgments and eternal destiny as Revelation shows; SPIRITUAL LIFE ---concerning our walk and conversation to honor and obey God; keep His Word; witness to all mankind in love, with prayer and communion with our Savior ---the Lord Jesus.
b) A study of topics or subjects that are essential to the believer's pathway---e.g. holiness, worship, devotion, service, trials, marriage & practical choices, etc. Choose a subject of special interest and learn about it, rather than just reason over it. Good ministry is available from the sources shown herein.
c) A study of each Book and chapter in a progressive way through the Bible: One can read a chapter, pray over it, and then read some sound ministry on it from reliable sources. Some suggest a chapter a day with much prayer. One has said: We ought to do as a cow --"eat, then pause and chew on it awhile". It is important to see that there are no contradictions in the Word of God, and verses ought to be understood first in their context.
4. Have a concordance available, and a good Bible dictionary. The Concise Bible Dictionary is an excellent aide (available at Bible Truth Publishers; also, have paper to take notes for questions and further inquiry. -RLD.